Monday, April 30, 2012

No more bugs in my corn

So its gardening season which means bugs! Some bugs are good and some well at least in my garden it seems like most are bad bugs... So what do you do? I like to be as organic as possible why else did my husband and I buy lady bugs and praying mantis eggs and dig up a quarter of the yard build garden boxes shovel dirt grow plants and so forth to use all the chemicals the big farms use, if I want that well I can go to the store and get veggies there. So one thing I hate, I don't use the word hate lightly but I do mean hate is growing corn my first few years. I mean you baby this thing from a seed its gets taller than you it starts whipping around in the wind your always afraid its going to break in half or your feeding it great kelp fertilizer just waiting for the silly ear of corn, its finally done!! your giddy to go harvest your backyard corn and you start husking to find your like the last one invited to the party and your just left with the scraps because well the bugs have been eating your corn and you have bugs crawling all over in and out of YOUR corn you have been waiting for for months! grrr (ok I know  corn season hasn't even really started here in the NW but you much rather know before you have great ears of corn full of bugs)

Well there is and easy way too prevent this (easy just took me three years to find) Get yourself  a clean squirt bottle or spray pump depending on how much corn you have fill with 1 cup oil, whatever you use in the kitchen veggie, olive or if in liquid form coconut I did read once mineral oil is good but I'm trying to keep petroleum out of my garden and add a 1 cup water, 1:1 ratio. Shake before every use because oil and water with separate. Don't spray the silk on your corn as soon as they appear or they wont pollinate wait till they start to change color and then every few days spray the silk down with your oil and water mix since most bugs like your corn when the sugar content is higher. And what is in there will suffocate from the oils. No more black yucky bugs or worms in your corn! there is your gardening tip of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment