Saturday, January 28, 2012

Homemade cleaning supplies easy on the budget and earth friendly :)

Well today is dishwasher detergent making day... Normally I make my laundry soap but haven't tried making dishwasher soap so here we go. I have been buying the big thing of tablets from Costco because well its easy and not too horrible on the budget but today Im out and Im not going to Costco because well when was the last time you went there and just got one item? thought so... so on to making dishwasher detergent with stuff I already have around the house. Ok you might not have all this just laying around but if you can and have extra stuff in the laundry room I bet you have most of this!

Ingredients:
2 cup All Natural Borax
2 cup washing soda (if you don't have this I know some people use baking soda)
1/2 cup Citric Acid.. I have lots of this from canning season (fyi: don't buy this in the little shaker thing on the canning isle of the grocery store or you will kick yourself in the butt with the price... I go down to our local DIY Beer Brewery supply store and get a nice size bag of it for $5 and you get a lot more) any whoo where was I ... if you don't have any two packets of kool-aid works too (I don't ever have this in my house)
1/4 cup salt... I used canning salt some say use kosher salt... I improvised :)
1 tbs lemon zest I like it for the smell thats all
white Vinegar


Ok take a bowl mix all the powders together mix well.. pour into mason jar serve one tbs to dishwasher with each load! done! White vinegar is for the spout where you normally pour out $4 or $5 for Jet dry or.... Spend $3.75 at Costco and get two big jugs of white vinegar and have a life time supply of natural alternative to Jet dry.. Im just saying.

Crunch numbers and it comes out to be about.... wait for it..... $0.06 per load :) much better than what your buying at the store right?!

Oh and don't forget if your leaving this out on the counter or window put it in something pretty to look at or a old large yogurt container works well for under the sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment